top of page

Site of Queens College 1771

Marker 5

In 1771 the Assembly and Governor Tryon authorized the first publicly supported college in the South. In 1772, King George disallowed the operation of the college but the citizens of Charlotte changed the name to “Queen’s Museum” and continued operation. In 1777 they changed the name to Liberty Hall and the school continued operation into the 1790s. Liberty Hall was used as a hospital for soldiers on both sides during the Revolution. Today, Queen’s University carries on the name of this early school.

Site of Queens College 1771
00:00 / 01:14
bottom of page